Sunday, March 31, 2013

What now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfWW1gWyMoo

     Brooke has kindly shown me this commercial. I apologize if you cannot see it, but I'm not going to go through all the trouble of downloading it from YouTube and uploading it on Vimeo. (Not that I know how. I also think I remember agreeing to some sort of "original content" thing on Vimeo, so it might be taken down anyway.)

     For those who cannot watch, it's a Miracle-Gro commercial that basically rips off my gardening story. It even shows the dead plant in elementary school. Unfortunately, this woman got my happy ending, and I'm left with radish stems.

     Maybe I can put the stems in a salad, once they grow enough. Maybe a soup. Or pesto? There are tons of not-disgusting-at-all recipes that I can make to dispose of my useless radish stems.


Yummy yummy radish stem soup. Looks delicious.


     I'm trying to be optimistic, in case you can't tell. I'll admit, I expected at least one radish, but I never thought this many sprouts would grow. Sprouts are pretty cool, right?

     Honestly, I'm just sort of at a loss for what to do now. I know I learned a Valuable Lesson from this experience, but couldn't I have walked away with a lesson and a radish?

I JUST WANT A SINGLE RADISH.

     Actually, I don't think I'm too upset about the radish itself. I'm just sad that my little sprouts didn't get the treatment they deserved. I suppose I grew more attached to them than I predicted. I was rooting for them. (Pun slightly intended.) I wanted them to do well, and it seemed like they were, but to learn that they were doomed from the start? That's tough. But hey, they're not dead yet. As long as they keep growing, they still have a chance. Maybe. If not, I have plenty more radish seeds... Summer might be a good time to try again.


2 comments:

  1. Hey Nicole,
    That stinks about not getting a radish. Despite the fact that they didn't do as well as you had hoped I still think its awesome that you learned a lesson that transcends beyond this project. I'm glad to see that you plan on carrying on with this project over the summer. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oof. Failure is no fun, I know that firsthand. However, this is... excuse my frankness, a special case. My Mom is a gardener, and has been for many years. I happened to mention your project to her, and she said that radishes were in fact the easiest plant to grow. It really sucks that your radishes died, though. Did you consider going to somebody else for advice and help, like Drew? He's great with plants.

    ReplyDelete